Originally from the North East of Scotland, I relocated to Plymouth toward the end of 2007. After feeling discontent in my business administrative career I returned to education in 2010 at Plymouth College of Art with a view to rekindling an earlier passion for creative learning.
During my BA(Hon) studies in Fine Art, Critical and Curatorial Practices, I have been open to experimenting with various mediums and disciplines, however my interests remain based in the anthropological conditions and humanitarian crises of the contemporary western world. I draw inspiration from my own life experiences as well as the media’s negative effects on society from infancy to adulthood. Although my work may initially seem of a closed, personal nature, many of the fundamental feelings, concerns and emotions are cross-transferrable. Therefore, my intention is that my pieces will evoke a response within the viewer, promote awareness of a particular issue and allow the public to relate to the work on a personal level.
This blog primarily concentrated on the last year of my studies at Plymouth College of Art and focuses more on the idea of the artist as curator, recording objective – as well as my own personal views on exhibitions I have had the opportunity to visit. I also investigate and explore ways to exhibit my own work.
- 08/2014 – PRESENT:
- Graduate Associate at Plymouth College of Art
- Council Arts Graduate Show 2014: exhibited part of “the best years of your life” they said, 2014: http://www.plymouthart.ac.uk/latest/news/students-exhibiting-at-council-houses-graduates-show/
- Graduated from Plymouth College of Art with a first class honours degree in Fine Art, Critical & Curatorial Studies.
- The Future of Plymouth, 2014 – Plymouth College of Art BA (Hon) Fine Art, Critical & Curatorial Practices collaborative exhibition with Lee McDonald at The City Council House, Plymouth: (http://www.plymouthart.ac.uk/latest/blog/fine-artists-present-kaleidoscopic-body-of-work-at-council-house)
- Student Internship at Peninsula Arts, Plymouth University
- Experimental Public Performance at KARST Gallery and Studio Space, Plymouth following one week intensive workshop with artist duo VestandPage on the methodology and practice of performance art
- Visual Arts and Education Intern at Plymouth Arts Centre (three month internship)
- Screening of Worry Box, 2013 at Thameside Theatre, Thurrock following successful selection for Thurrock International Film Festival in the Music/Experimental Category
- Simple Pleasures, 2013 participatory work exhibited at The Piazza, Plymouth as part of the Fine Art Department’s representation of Plymouth College of Art
- Performative Intervention during opening night of The Marmite Prize for Painting, 2013 in collaboration with artist duo Low Profile at The Gallery, Plymouth College of Art
- Assisted during the making of collaborative duo Low Profile’s video pieces for their Against All Odds, 2013 exhibition at Exeter Phoenix
- Participating musician during the opening night of Bryony Gillard’s In the Boom of the Tingling Strings, 2013 at The Gallery, Plymouth College of Art
- Simple Pleasures, 2013 participatory work exhibited at The Lift Gallery, Plymouth College of Art, as part of the second year BA (Hon) Fine Art Practices students’ archive of BOUM Participation Event
- Simple Pleasures, 2013 participatory work exhibited at Studio 11, Regent Street, Plymouth College of Art, as part of the second year BA (Hon) Fine Art Practices students’ BOUM Participation Event
- Commendation received for Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense (Shamed Be He Who Thinks Evil Of It), 2012 from UK National Open Online Art Competition 2012 (http://competitions.mixism.co.uk/helanie_moore_65.html last accessed 27/01/2014)
- Namaak, 2012 second year BA(Hon) Fine Art Practices student collaborative exhibition at The Lift Gallery, Plymouth College of Art (opening night: 06/11/2012)
- Fine Art Practices Extended Foundation Degree exhibition in The Lift Gallery, Plymouth College of Art