For editing the footage together, I used Final Cut Pro – an editing suite I had used previously.
Th editing process was possibly one of the most stressful and frustrating tasks I have ever undertaken since I started my course at PCA. I had four different clips of footage to edit together and although this probably sounds simple, it was anything but. Below is a list of problems and solutions I faced during this process:
- Newton’s Cradle:
As mentioned in an earlier post, the cradle only worked for about 10 seconds before slowing down. I needed to create at least 3minutes of a continuous ticking motion for my film. The process included clipping the film at a certain point when the cradle was in motion and looping it so it would continuously tick. Although this sounds fairly easy, it was not – simple because I had to clip and loop the footage at an exact point so that there would be no irregularity in the ticking rhythm or timing – even if there was the tiniest percent of a second out, it was noticeable. Also, although the cradle ticked for 10seconds, the first few seconds were quicker than the last few seconds which also caused problems because I did not want the cradle to slow down and speed up again when looping the footage.
- Frames per second issues:
The iphone footage of the walking was 29.97 frames per second, whereas the rest of the footage was 25 frames per second. Although Final Cut Pro should not have a problem converting the frames per second, unfortunately the program didn’t seem to like it and kept crashing.
- 16:9 widescreen or 4:3 standard:
I had initially thought that I would probably need to edit in 4:3, however I was advised by a peer and tutor that it would probably be better in 16:9. However, when I edited it in 16:9 and projected it toward the school desk lid, it did not cover the entire lid. I therefore had to re-edit to 4:3 standard size screen.
- Brightness and Contrast:
Again, this should have been fairly straight forward but as there were several different films, I had to adjust the contrast/brightness in each so that they would compliment each other well.
- Cross Fade:
This should have also been an easy task but for some reason some of the clips would not allow the cross fade effect across two clips (I sought help from tutors and I.T. assistants in LRC but nobody could understand why it wouldn’t work). I ended up having to cross fade out one clip to black and cross fade the next from black.
- Exporting movie:
When I exported the film to a Quicktime Movie, some frames would drop and cause a pixilation. I had to edit the film several times before it exported correctly.
- Rendering clips/film:
The rendering process was extremely lengthy – sometimes taking 30minutes to render 2mins of edited film which meant I could not watch it back or check it was edited correctly until it was rendered. I had to render footage every time I made a change so that I was only waiting 7minutes each time instead of longer.